Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Pork Chops with Apple Tart Dressing

Confession: I didn't cook this. Buuuutttt my husband did and goodness gracious was it delicious.

I hadn't eaten pork chops in YEARS. Alan's a big fan of chops and he'd been trying to get me to eat them ever since we started dating, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. Growing up, my family didn't eat pork chops very often and the recipe my mom made wasn't my favorite (no offense, Mom! Love ya!). When Alan and I made a commitment to try and eat at home more I knew I was going to have to move beyond chicken, beef and salmon so I added pork chops to our grocery list. Tonight, Alan put those chops to good use.

He used a recipe in his Keeping it Simple cookbook by Gary Rhodes. Check out this deliciousness ...


I'm so blessed to have a hubby that enjoys cooking! Love him to bits. But onto the food ... 



He served the pork chops with sauteed mushrooms and asparagus, and fresh red tomatoes sprinkled with pepper. Here's the recipe:

Pork Chops with Apple Tart Dressing

Ingredients
- Apples (the recipe calls for 7 to 8, but he only used 2)
- 1oz of brown sugar
- Lemon juice from half of a lemon
- Pork chops (recipe calls for 4, he used 2)
- 1oz of butter, melted
- Salt and pepper
- Apple sauce (this actually isn't in the recipe, but he added about 2 tablespoons of it)

Directions
- Peel and roughly chop the apples and put them into a saucepan.
- Add half the brown sugar, the lemon juice and 3 tablespoons of water. Cover with a lid and cook over medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes until tender, stirring from time to time.
- Brush the pork chops with a little bit of butter and season with salt and pepper. Put the chops on a grill pan and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Spread the apple sauce over the chops and arrange the apple slices on top slightly overlapping as you would for an apple tart. Brush or drizzle the chops with melted butter, sprinkle over the remaining sugar and return to the grill.
- Cook for a few more minutes until the apples are nicely toasted with a slightly burnt tinge around the edges.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin