Monday, August 13, 2012

Blueberry Banana Bread

Banana bread is one of my favorite things to bake because you can alter the recipe in a million different ways depending on the season, your mood and the things you've got lying around in your pantry. In the fall, for example, nothing beats pumpkin banana bread with crushed pralines. In the winter, I love a warm cup of tea with chocolate cranberry banana bread. And in the summertime blueberry banana bread is always a big hit. I made one on Sunday evening and we'll enjoy slices for breakfast all week.


I also love baking banana bread because it's so painlessly easy. The recipe I use is a low-fat Betty Crocker recipe (see below) but from what I've seen most banana bread recipes are pretty similar and I've never met a banana bread I didn't like!

Blueberry Banana Bread 

Ingredients
- 2 or 3 large bananas 
- 1/2 cup of blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/4 cups of sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup of buttermilk (I used skim and it turned out just fine)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of chopped nuts (I used walnuts) if desired.

Directions
- In a big mixing bowl, stir the sugar and butter until they're well mixed. Stir in the eggs until well mixed. Stir in the bananas, milk and vanilla; beat with a spoon until smooth.
- Stir in the flour, baking soda and salt until just moistened. Stir in blueberries.
- Pour batter into a 8x4 inch baking pan.
- Sprinkle walnuts or coconut on top, if desired.
- Bake the loaf for about an hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes in pans on a wire rack

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin